Surfside Non-Surgical Orthopedics, Sports Medicine and Pain


4600 N Ocean Blvd (A1A), Suite 101 | Boynton Beach, FL 33435

Commonly Asked Questions

Q. Can I drive after spinal injections?
A. Yes. Usually you can drive following injections. No sedation is used in our procedures. Sometimes a patient can be light headed following a procedure in which case we just have them rest for 10-15 minutes. By then they are usually Ok to drive.

Q. Is there a limit to the number of steroid injections a person can have in their life?
A. There are no studies delineating a max dose or max number of injection of corticosteroids. The issues come with too much volume (dose) in too short of a time for follow-up injections. Your Surfside physician takes great care in monitoring you dose, frequency, and side effects to give you the best care as safely as possible.

Q. Are X-rays safe?
A. X-radiation can accumulate over a lifetime so the younger you are the greatest overall risk. Great care is taken to limit exposure and do only what is medically necessary.

Q. Can you become paralyzed by an epidural?
A. It is exceedingly rare but if you are on blood thinners and don’t stop them before an epidural injection a hematoma can develop which is a medical emergency because it can result in paralysis.

Q. Is PRP approved by the FDA?
A. Yes.

Q. Is PRP paid for by insurance?
A. Some insurances have paid some or all in the past. Unfortunately, health care is changing literally by the day. A prior authorization will be obtained but even then an insurance company can come back three years later and deny payments in which case the patient would be responsible for the cost incurred.

Q. Is the Botox Migraine Protocol paid for by insurance?
A. Yes.

Q. How long do I have after a motor vehicle accident to seek medical care?
A. Following the motor vehicle accident you have 15 days to seek medical care or you lose access to the PIP insurance to pay for your medical care.

Q. Does auto insurance pay for massage, injections, manipulation, medication, physical therapy, MRI’s?
A. Yes, all of the above.

Q. Do I have to have an attorney after a motor vehicle accident to get medical care?
A. No. You do have to call your automobile insurance and open a claim if you want the insurance to pay for your medical care.

Q. What is an Emergency Medical Condition (EMC)?
A. There is a relatively new Florida law intent on avoiding abuse of PIP insurance. Overall, in Florida you have guaranteed access to $10,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) insurance regardless of fault. However, after the first $2500 a patient must have an Emergency Medical Condition (EMC) evaluation to confirm the need for further care to have access to the remaining $7500.

Q. Do I have to get physical therapy if I come to Surfside Non-Surgical Orthopedics?
A. No. It may be recommended but never mandatory.

Q. If I get physical therapy do I have to get it at Surfside Non-Surgical Orthopedics?
A. No. A physical therapist close to your home or specializing in your particular condition can be recommended.

Q. Do you know physical therapist near me?
A. We work with a number of physical therapists around the area and often can recommend one near you. If you have one you prefer will always be happy to write you a prescription to see them.

Q. Can I get a digital copy of my X-rays?
A. Yes. Sometimes it may require a day to prepare.

Q. Can I go to a lab at a later date for blood work?
A. Yes. A written prescription can be given to take to any lab company at a later time. For example, if fasting is required.

Q. Can MRI’s and CT’s be done in the office?
A. No. We do not perform MRI’s and CT’s.